Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Prosper Where You're Planted

Yesterday my husband told me that I am becoming so domestic lately. Between me trying to cook, to hemming my work pants and jeans, to trying to start decorating our apartment, I understand him commenting on it. I am not a very "domestic" wife. I am not a good cook, and while I am great at designing other peoples spaces, my own home has always looked like a combo of college apartment and thrift store. Mostly because I am extremely cheap when it comes to myself. So recently I have been trying to change that, I want to be happy to come home, even if it is to an apartment with "renter white" walls. You have to prosper where you are planted, right? 

Since we have moved across the country and into a new apartment I have tried to make this space our own. We also downsized our apartment from a 2 bedroom, very spacious place, to a 1 bedroom place that is very tightly planned. Since we did not want to pay to move all of our hand-me-downs across the country, we decided to sell or get rid of most of our furniture. Okay, okay, ALL of our furniture. We came here with all of our outdoor equipment (skis, snowboards, bikes, camping equipment), clothes, a tv, and a dining room table that did not fit in our new apartment. We made the switch from a beautiful, large kitchen and pantry, to a small galley kitchen with no storage space. I will add some pictures at the bottom of some of the solutions I came up with. 

I didn't come into this apartment with a plan or a vision, so not everything flows, but I am getting there! 

 No seriously - if it didn't fit in these 2 cars and 1 small trailer it wasn't going! 
We bought a cheap futon to sit on (better than the camping chairs we started with) so I spruced it up with some small homemade pillows. They double as great camping pillows! 
Here is an in-progress kitchen. Storage solution for no-pantry living! Target came to the rescue with cute storage containers!
And our favorite (and most necessary ) purchase: THE mattress!!!! So much better than the air mattress we started with! 


And here are some after pictures for you:

A little Halloween Spirit!

Dining Nook, complete with coffee station, open-shelved pantry and seating for 4!

Yea, I know - it is still just a college futon, but I like it. 

And to substitute for a headboard, a little honeymoon reminiscing: Hawaii hats! 


It is still very much a work in progress, but I am very happy with the changes we have made so far! 

No comments:

Post a Comment