Thursday, October 17, 2013

Growing Pains

I am not the most outgoing person. Don't get me wrong - when I am with friends I am usually one of the sillier ones. But meeting new people? That is truly terrifying. Moving across the country? Awesome! Realizing the people we knew that made this move before us were not people we hung out with back home? Really tough.

So we are living in the place of our dreams, having adventures of a lifetime, and no friends to share that with. That is pretty lame. So I need to go out and actually talk to people, in real life, and try to hang out with them, in real life. Back to terrifying. Why is making friends as an adult so difficult? I know without making friends and proving to myself that I can do that, totally on my own, this place will never be home.

I want to be the adventurous person that I appear to be on the outside. Just moving across the country doesn't make me that person, not when I waste the opportunity to prove to myself that I can be truly independent. So this weekend I am going to talk to people that I don't know. And try to hide my terror that they may see me as vulnerable. Whatever. They might want a friend too.

I skipped yesterdays post. I will get better at this accountability thing. Still haven't told anyone I have this. I think I will wait awhile for that. This isn't for other people anyways. Just to prove to myself I can be who I want to be. Have a great day! And go make a new friend - who knows - it might be me!


One of my favorite pictures: "This is an adventure. . . . "

No comments:

Post a Comment